Professional-grade lawn mowers make maintaining your lawn quick and easy. No matter the size of the lawn, we have a mower that's suited to get the job done. Choose from our wide selection of push, self-propelled or electric mowers.
Learn more about the makes and models we carry, which mower type would be best for you, and all their features from the experts at Ace Hardware.
What is a Push Mower?
A push mower relies on the person operating it to push it forward and the sharpness of its blades to cut grass. Their cutting deck ranges from 20 to 22 inches. Push mowers require more effort than self-propelled or electric options, as the operators must exert force to cut the grass and the motor only spins the cutting blade. This means that a push mower only moves as fast as you push it and is more physically demanding.
Self-propelled mowers move on their own by using a gearbox connected to the front or rear wheels. While push lawn mowers are harder work, they are roughly half the price of self-propelled mowers. They also weigh less than self-propelled mowers because they don't have a gearbox. This can make them easier to maneuver and you never have to worry about the battery dying mid-project.
Electric vs. Gas Lawn Mowers
Gas mowers come in both push and self-propelled options and require gas cans to run the engine. This is different from electric mowers which rely on a cord plugged into an outlet or a battery to keep the motor going.
There are many factors to consider when choosing between a gas or electric motor. Gas mowers produce more emissions and aren't as environmentally friendly as battery-operated mowers. They also have more ongoing costs than electric motors.
A huge benefit of buying a gas mower is that they don't require a battery charge, so you'll never get stuck halfway through lawn mowing with a dead battery. Battery-operated mowers have an average runtime of 30 to 60 minutes, dependent on the AH rating of the battery. Gas motors can run for hours and operate in a variety of weather conditions, unlike electric mowers, which can be dangerous in wet weather.
Choosing a mower with a cord will mean that your engine will run so long as it is plugged in and it saves the hassle of gas cans. It's cheaper than cordless options and perfect if you have a lawn without many trees – just be mindful to avoid the cord when mowing. If you prefer not to have the hassle of a cord, a gas mower may be a better option for you.
What to Look for in a Mower
We stock a full range of lawn mowers to suit your needs. Look for the following tools and features in our selection:
- Engine size: Our mowers range from 125cc to 163cc.
- Weight: The weight of the mower will determine its maneuverability, which is especially important for push mowers that require more physical exertion.
- Variable speed and torque control: Adjustable speeds help you modify settings for optimal operation.
- Drive control: Consider what's physically required to keep the machine moving. Some mowers have a bail (a metal rod) that you squeeze against the handle or a lever you push with your thumb. Others have a handle you squeeze like a brake on a bike.
- Grass collection: Mowers can mulch, collect grass in a bag, or discharge clipping out the deck. Most mowers usually have two of these features.
- Rear bag size: The size of the rear bag (in mowers that include one) may vary between models.
- Cord length: Consider how long you need the cord extend for electric mowers.
- Gas tank and oil fill locations: Caps and oil-fill spouts should be easy to access and conveniently located.
- Tall rear wheels: These wheels help the mower maneuver over rough surfaces more easily.
- Storage convenience: Look for a foldable handle for upright and efficient storage.
- Additional items: Mowers may include parts like a container of oil, rear bag and/or side discharge chute.
Take into consideration the size of your lawn, the level of the surface, your budget and physical strength to determine which mower may be best suited for you. Our friendly staff are here and willing to answer any questions you may have regarding your final decision.
Lawn Mowers from Top Brands
At Ace, we understand how important maintaining your garden is so we only stock lawn mowers from the most trusted brands, including Ego, Craftsman, Toro and Stihl. We have prices to suit all budgets and simple online ordering.
Our expert and friendly staff are available in any store to help you choose the most suitable lawn mower for your gardening needs. Pay us a visit or call your local Ace store for help with your purchase.